Telos: College Age Adults
Our college age ministry (CA) exists to serve young adults as part of the ministry of Grace Community Church as a whole. Following are the core tenets of our ministry:
- We believe that CA ministry is vital. This is a time of life in which each one is wrestling through life transforming issues and decisions and it is too crucial to be left unattended. Although there is no direct Biblical mandate for a CA ministry – there is ample exhortation to shepherd each member of the body of Christ in an effective way. Colossians 1:28-29 says it best, “And we proclaim Him, admonishing every man and teaching every man so that we may present every man complete in Christ. For this purpose also I labor striving according to His power which mightily works within me.”
- We believe that CA ministry is multifaceted. That is, it needs to go beyond Sunday and mid-week Bible study to regular interaction and discipleship – most particularly among the CA group members themselves. It is important and helpful to have older leaders and mentors pouring out their lives – but it is vital for each member of the CA group to consider how they can pour into one another’s lives. We know that this is made particularly difficult by the ease with which we offend each other – particularly in the realm of relationships. Yet – we must be committed to love another. “Having so fond an affection for you, we were well pleased to impart to you not only the gospel of God, but also our own lives because you had become very dear to us.” 1 Thess. 2:8.
- We believe that CA ministry (as every church ministry) is primarily Word driven and Christ focused. A hunger to love the Word of God, to know the Word of God, and to apply the Word of God for the glory of God in Christ, is the foundation for all we seek to accomplish. “All Scripture is inspired by God and is profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.” 2 Tim. 3:15-16.
- We believe that CA ministry is local church oriented. Each CA member is first and foremost a member of Grace Community Church and we want to help build a love for, and commitment to, the local body of believers. This does not in any way limit involvement on the college campus or in other godly organizations, but keeps our focus on the institution that God has designed to accomplish His work in this world. We want to teach each young adult to love the church with reckless abandon – and that starts with GCC. To this end we believe that CA ministry involves encouraging each one to be an active participant in the church, beyond just spending time with those of similar age or interest. This makes CA ministry a challenge because we want everyone to be busy about ministry to others, but also ministering to each other. Ephesians 3: 10-11 says it this way, “So that the manifold wisdom of God might now be made known through the church to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly places, this was in accordance with the eternal decree which He carried out in Christ.”
- Finally, we believe that CA ministry must have an outreach focus. We desire to proclaim Christ to those who do not know Him so that they might respond to Him in repentance and faith, resulting in salvation. Acts 4:12 states, “And there is salvation in no one else for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved.”
In all of these things we desire to see Christ glorified through the proclamation of His Word in an atmosphere of love for Christ, love for the church, and love for all men.
Currently the college age group meets every Tuesday evening for Bible study, singing, fellowship and prayer.
Additionally we are developing a network of college age church members who contact and encourage one another weekly. If you are interested in becoming a part of this network, please contact us for more information.